Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Buffalo Chicken Wings on Big Green Egg (with elevated grid)

I've found that these are one of the easiest things to do on the Egg.  I take the wings directly from the package and put on the hot Egg.  No sauce, no seasonings, no nothing.

Note:  I've done all types of pre-seasonings before.  Tony's, dry ranch powder, etc.  They're all fine, but the wing sauce is always so over powering, I never really taste anything else.

Using the Adjustable Rig on the highest setting, cook at about 350-400 on direct heat for about 15 minutes, flip wings and cook another 15 minutes.  Flip back to the original position and brush on your favorite sauce and cook for 5 minutes.  Flip again and brush on sauce on the other side, cook for 5 more minutes.  Remove from Egg and toss in a large bowl with more of the sauce.  Serve and enjoy.

The grid is several inches above the felt line when using this setup and the distance from the coals allows you to cook direct without charring.

Another alternative is a method I used to use before I had my Adjustable Rig.  I would setup the Egg with the place setter, legs up, for an indirect cook.  I would cook in this indirect setup for the first two 15 minutes parts listed above.  At that point I would remove the entire grate (with the food on it) and set it aside momentarily.  I would remove the hot place setter and set in a safe place.  I would then return the grate and food back to the Egg in a now a direct heat setup for last two 5 minutes sections of the cook listed above.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog